Friday, May 23, 2008

Strike!

Strikes were so common back in India for me. Everyday someone somewhere in the city was on strike for some reason. At times, I had faced hardship due to them in a way or another.
When I came to USA, one of the many things I thought don't happen here was a strike! But I was proved wrong today. And what a day they chose to call a strike. This is a long weekend here as we have a holiday on Monday for Memorial Day. I was supposed to leave for Virginia today afternoon. In the morning, I thought I would take a Shortline bus to my office as I had some luggage and going with Manish can be troublesome as Ashish and Harpreet will also be carrying their stuff to office. So much fitting in the car's trunk would not have been a certain problem but I didn't wanted to give it a chance. So, there I was waiting for 8:47am bus, but it didn't came. Harpreet had joined me at the bus stop as he had decided to take the bus today for office. We waited till 9:00am when a fellow standing there and waiting for the bus like us inquired as to "how long have we been waiting there?". We said that its more than 15 minutes to which he replied that it may be a strike as he heard somewhere in the morning on tv or radio. He was not sure but we were. It was indeed a strike as no bus had passed from the other side also and we were waiting for almost half an hour. So we decided to go back. We came to office with Manish without any hassles for the luggage we all were having.
Anyways, I checked on their website, and they had the strike information on the schedules page. I had only one alternative now and that was to take a train. But to my misery, there was a train from Ramsey station at 12:07pm which reached NY at 1:10pm and after that at 1:07 which reached NY at 2:10pm. Well, my bus from NY to DC was to leave at 2:00pm and in no way I would be able to make it if I was supposed to board the 1:07 train. I could not leave office at 11:30 to make for the 12:07 train as I had came out out weekly meeting and I had some things to work on prioirty. So I decided to call it off and informed my relatives that I would be taking the bus on Saturday morning now. I hate this stuff, when I am all in mood and something crap happens.
Now I am just sitting idle in home, doing nothing but writing this blog and watching Prison Break.
Happy Weekend to you all!

No comments:

 
powered by website analytics
website statistics