Monday, October 08, 2007

The US Diaries - Chapter 2

The Taxi Ride

When we came out of the terminal, the first thing I wanted to do was make a call back home. But I couldnt coz in US, you cant make an international call without a calling card and I did not had one. I tried to call Mausi, but for that also I needed some coins, I needed some quarters and all I had was dollar dills. I tried to get change from a cafe but the attendant there said that she cant gicve change until and unless I buy something due to some rules of the shop (it was regarding the cash register). I went to the exchange counter to try my luck and the girl sitting there tendered 4 quarters for a dollar bill. I hooked onto a telephone and inserted the coin in it. But the phone did not responded. I pressed for coin return but the coin did not came out! I inserted another coin but the same thing, the phone did not responded and the coin did not came out! I didn't wanted to waste another coin. I was standing near the gate with my luggage, when a short Asian came to me and spoke something in Bangla. I did not responded and so he asked me " You are not from Bangladesh?" . I said "No"
Man: "Where you from?"
Me: "I am from India"
Man: "Ok, so you are Indian"
Me: "Yep"
Man: "you waiting for someone?"
Me: "Yes, I am trying to make a call but I am not able to make a call"
Man: "Where you want to call? India?"
Me: "No, Just here only, Virginia"
Man: "Ok, you can use my phone"
(He had iPhone in his hand and offered me)
Me: "Non, no its ok. I will try again and then ask you, if you are around here"
Man: "Ok, as you wish"
Me: "So how long you are in USA?"
Man: "I came here in 1989 and from then I am here"
Me: "Ok"
Man: "I have to pick comeone today"
Me: "Ok"
Man: "So this is your first time here?"
Me: "Ya"
Man: For studying?"
Me: "No, business"
Man: "You are here for doing business?"
Me: "No, no, its official trip. I work and I am here on office work"
Man: "Ok, so where you live in India?"
Me: "I live in New Delhi"
Man: "Ok, that is capital of India, right?"
Me: "Yes"
Me: "So you are from Bangladesh, na? Where you lived here?"
Man: "Dacca"
Man: "So where you going in US"
Me: "New Jersey"
Man: "So someone is going to cpick you up?"
Me: "No we are going to tak a cab"
Man: "Ok"

I was somewhat uncomfortable after taking to him for so long. But, since my colleague was not doing anything for moving out, I had to think of something. The man moved from there and was out of my sight. After some time, I decided to go and ask for his cell phone. I looked around the place and then I found him. I went up to him and asked for his cell. He dialled the number and handled the bluetooth jack to me. I called Mausi and told her that I have reached here and I am going to take cab from outside. I asked her to call mom and tell her this. I thanked that guy and moved from there. Suddenly he sent some guy, who came asking for our destination and offered that he can drop us. I was pretty suscpicious and so I told him that someone gonna come for picking us up and went towards the yellow cab stand. There we lined up and that guy came again. now, it was embarassing as I had told him that someone gonna pick us up and now we were in the queue for the cab. He said to me that he will charge no extra money and will drop us. I politely turned down his proposal and then he went.

Our turn came and we boarded a Yellow cab. The driver was having curly long hairs and he was an American. I told him that we wanna go to Mahwah, NJ. He agreed and we boarded it. Fare was not negotiated when we got on the cab. In NY and NJ commuting is very easy. You can easily get cabs for moving in and aroud these two states. We started the cab ride from JFK and I started enjoying the NY. I can see the curling highways, going underneath each other and creating loop. Tree lined roads, fast moving vehicles, swanky cars and fast bikers. I was enjoying the sight.

The cab driver was talking too much. He was well informed about India and South East Asia in general .He said that he watched news and read newspaper regularly. He was a student and was doing graduation in Communciation Engg from some college in NY. We were stuck in Traffic near Lincon Tunnel for almost 45 minutes. We were told by our friends that it will take at most 90 minuts to reach out destination.

Now starts the drama! The cab driver did not knew the way! He had a book, which gave directions but it mentioned only three directives, which were not at all sufficient for him. He was lost and so were we! After moving for almost 3 hours, we crossed the same toll three times. The cab driver had lost the patience and so had I. My colleague, who was never concerned for anything as if he was my responsibility was fast asleep. I was helping the driver in finding the way by checking in my google map printout. The driver was unable to reach Route 17, on which we had to go. After almost 6 hours, we finally reached the house of our PM at 9:30 PM. It was such a bad ride that I am not in a mood to explain that in detail. The cab driver asked us to give whatever we want and said that "Please consider the distance, I covered". We gave him $220. Our PM had just arrived from somewhere in his car and he saw us. He told the way back yo NY to the cab driver and then we followed him to his apartment. There Tarun greeted us and came outside to help us out with our luggage. We left the luggage outside and went in. We had water and then we had dinner and I called Mausi from their cell that I have reached. Then mom's call came and she was furious thay why hadnt I called her? I told her in short and crisp words about what happened and promised to call next day.
After having dinner, we left for our apartment which was at a walking distance. We reached there and moved in.

So after such a bad first-hand experience I finally reached the place. We did nothing but opened our luggage and gave the Cigg package to Tarun and handed the sweets and Suji to Manish and then we slept to get ready for the office next day! We were aksed to reach Manish's house at 8:45 in the morning.

No comments:

 
powered by website analytics
website statistics