Saturday, October 20, 2007

The US Diaries - Chapter 3

Week 1

The apartment is 1 BHK and has big rooms. These apartments had dishwasher pre-installed in them apart from gas stove, oven and a refregerator which are mandatory to have in an apartment according to Federal laws.

October 1 was my first day at Pearson Technology, USR, NJ. I was asked to come over to my PM's apartment (which is near my apartment) at 8:45 AM as I was suppposed to reach office with him and my RM.

The place I am living in (Mahwah) is a small but beautiful place. The office is around 2.5 miles from our apartment. The drive to the office was pleasant and soothing to eyes. The houses which I was seeing on both sides of the road were beautiful and I bet you would have loved it too. Trees lined on both sides of the road had started showing fall colors. There was a golf course on the way and it was beautifully landscaped. Some of the houses are almost built in woods. The house is standing alone with trees all around it like a curtain hiding the innards from the outsiders. You can see the sign boards indicating drivers to drive carefully as Deers may come suddenly on road. And it's true. You can spot a deer if you are driving at night. I had spotted one when I was coming to my apartment from JFK.

Anyways, we reached office. The office belongs to Pearson Education. Its a beautiful and landscaped complex with 90% open area. The parking is open and is huge, well-thought and planned. I loved this thing as it seemes that the planners knew that the building they are designing will house many people and everyone needs parking! (This concept is alien to India. Builders, architects in India dont give a damn about parking facilities. ) The work culture is commendable. During work hours, people work. You wont see people hanging around, flocking the coffee vending machines or busy in chit-chat across desks. The office starts at 8 AM and almost everyine leaves by 5 PM. So you have a lot of quality time for your family. The partitions across desks here are high which makes sure that you are not distracted often by others.

Lunch and breakfast was a big headache as alsmot everything in Cafetria had either beef or chicken in it except salad. I had to be extra cautious while deciding what to eat as sometimes even if you order chicken, it can contain beef in it. Dont be in the impression that if it's written Veggie Burger then it means that it's veg. Nopes, you have to specifically ask or tell the person that you dont want beef, chicken in it. Be specific in telling No Meat.

Throughout the first week we were fighting with Jet-lag. Everyday we came from office and used to sleep by 6 PM and then we used to wake by 12:30 AM. So I was skipping dinner everyday. I used to sleep sometimes around 4:30 AM till 6:00 but most of the times I was up throught the rest of day.

I had a good day in office and met all my business users and PT folks. The office desk here is spacious. The space I have here is shared by 4 people back in Noida.

On Saturday, my relatives came over to my apartment and I went with them to meet some relatives in Parkridge, NJ. I stayed there that night as my colleague (who was living with me) had gone to Atlantic city. Next day was Sunday and I was taken to Manhattan, NY. That will be in next post.

No comments:

 
powered by website analytics
website statistics